The Cliff Bay Hotel details
With its ocean views and Michelin-starred restaurant, the Cliff Bay Hotel is fast-becoming one of the top places to stay in Funchal.
The Cliff Bay Hotel is set on a cliff-side, and serves up some of the best harbour and sea views in Funchal. That’s not to say it’s really tucked away, though – a shuttle bus whisks guests to the city centre’s bars and restaurants, which are less than 5 minutes away.
The property is spread out over different levels, all of which are blanketed in immaculate flower-filled gardens. On the top tier, you’ll find a heated swimming pool with indoor and outdoor sections. This level is also home to a decadent spa, with a treatments menu spanning everything from chocolate body wraps to hot stone massages. For the ultimate indulgence, book in to have your treatment in one of the four-poster gazebos that are scattered among the palm trees.
Breakfast is taken in the hotel’s buffet restaurant, which has an outdoor terrace for al fresco meals. In the evenings, pull up a seat at Il Galo d’Oro. This à la carte eatery serves Mediterranean cuisine, and has a Michelin Star to its name.
Location• Hotel-run courtesy bus to Funchal centre, 2km • 25km to airport
40 to 50 minutes
• 2 swimming pools - 1 sea-level saltwater & 1 partly indoor & heated • Gardens • Sun terraces
• Rose Garden restaurant with special buffet evenings • Il Gallo d’Oro restaurant, jacket or tie required • Cliff Bar Bistro cocktail bar/café with outside terrace • Poolside Blue Lagoon restaurant serving grills and salad buffet • Cactus Bar serving health drinks • Children’s and vegetarian diets catered for • Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve Gala dinners with unlimited local wine and soft drinks included - only gala dinners will be offered on these days • Flexible dining option available: 7 nights Half Board on 14 night holidays and 3 nights Half Board on 7 night holidays. Meals can be taken on any day. Please contact our pre-travel team to add a flexible dining package to your booking.
• Gym • Tennis court • Scuba diving centre - instructor available daily • Green fees discount at Palheiro Golf Course & Santo da Serra Golf Course, Jun-30 Sep • Sauna • Steam room • Health spa with treatments including holistic total body care‚ detoxifying algae treatments‚ sports & fitness massage‚ aromatherapy and reflexology
• Varied daily entertainment programme at Le Cliff bar • Choice of lounges with sea views • Games room • Library
• News kiosk • Hairdresser • Manicures‚ pedicures and make-up available
All rooms have air-conditioning, cable TV, DVD player, tea/coffee facilities, minibar, hairdryer and bathrobes. Standard rooms have 2 beds and a pull-out bed. Sole occupancy rooms available.
We also offer Limited sea-view, Sea-view and Superior rooms. In summer, Junior Suites with a lounge area are also available.
Superior rooms are located on the 6th-9th floors and have free Wi-Fi, a selection of classical CDs from the library, a minibar with complimentary soft drinks and water, fruit and wine in room on arrival, fresh flowers, à la carte breakfast in Il Gallo Doro Restaurant and pillow menu. Superior rooms with views over Funchal bay are also available.
Honeymooners receive a room upgrade, subject to availability‚ sparkling wine and flowers in room on arrival, plus a dinner for 2 at the Rose Garden Restaurant.
Extra Local Charges
Some facilities may incur extra local charges, please see the A-Z Guide