Grand Hotel Royal details
This elegant clifftop retreat comes with attentive service and amazing views.
It’s as if this hotel has a private box to take in Sorrento’s views. From its clifftop position, it looks right out over the Bay of Naples, with Vesuvius on the horizon. And when you look down, you’ll see the Marina Piccolo - the departure point for the tour boats that sail along the Riviera. On the subject of sightseeing, you’re also pretty close to Sorrento’s old centre. Its main piazza and the train station are just a five-minute walk from the door.
Looks-wise, the hotel is coolly classical. Fine antiques, oil paintings and period furnishings dominate in the foyer, with the rooms continuing in the same elegant vein. Expect Louis XV-style chairs, inlaid furniture and marbled bathrooms. And the colour palette is all soft aquas or rich yellows. Most come with balconies overlooking the gardens or sea, plus satellite TVs and air-conditioning.
Outside, you’ve got an oval pool surrounded by palms, orange trees and terraces peppered with canopied sunloungers. Alongside, there’s an al fresco restaurant serving authentic Neapolitan pizzas and ice- creams with a side order of sea views. A lift also runs down to the beach, where you’ll find sunbathing decks and steps down into the water.
There’s the cuisine to consider as well. Cue buffet breakfasts with generous hot and cold selections. Dinner is served in the same restaurant. The bow-tied waiters here synchronise the lifting of your silver service cover in time with your fellow diners. Nearby, meanwhile, there’s the Caprice - a balustraded drinks terrace where a pianist plays on high summer evenings.
Location• 500m to Piazza Tasso • 700m to Marina Piccola
1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours
• Swimming pool • Small pool with hydro-massage section • Poolside snack bar, Apr-Oct • Lift to private beach with snack bar, mid-May - mid-October • Sunbeds, deckchairs and towels round the pool plus cabins and parasols on private beach
• Restaurant with terrace for local and international cuisine • Buffet breakfast • Choice of menu at dinner • A la carte available • Weekly candlelit gala dinner, May-Oct • Gentlemen must wear long trousers for evening meals in the restaurant
• Card room • Board games • Public tennis courts nearby • Snorkelling equipment provided • Table tennis and darts by the beach
• Live music and dancing twice weekly, May-Oct • Weekly piano bar, Jun-Sep • Weekly Neapolitan evening, May-Oct • 3 lounges • Lounge bar with terrace and garden view • 3 bars • TV room
• Cots for hire
• Fully air-conditioned from mid-May to mid-Oct • Internet point in lobby
From 11/05 to 20/09 stays of 7, 10, 11 & 14 nights arriving on a Monday or Friday accepted. Minimum 3 nights arriving any day around these periods.
All rooms have air-conditioning, satellite TV, phone, internet, radio, minibar, hairdryer and balcony. Standard rooms have 2 or 3 beds, overlook the main road and public garden. Sea-view rooms and Single rooms available. Single rooms come without a balcony.
Free bottle of Spumante for couples celebrating their gold or silver anniversaries.
Extra Local Charges
Some facilities may incur extra local charges, please see the A-Z Guide