ClubHotel Riu Garopa
in Santa Maria, Cape Verde Islands
ClubHotel Riu Garopa details
All turrets and towers, the stylish Garopa has a great location, right by a powder-soft beach.
There’s something a bit Star Wars about this hotel. With its sandstone colourings, it’s reminiscent of Luke Skywalker’s rock home.
Step inside though and the desert-rock look switches to full-on North African. Take the lobby. There are giant wooden columns on grand pedestals. Enormous tusk-shaped sculptures. And dark-wicker sofas and clay urns as finishing touches. It’s a similar story in the buffet restaurant. Here, bold mosaics adorn the walls and intricate kasbah-style lanterns hang above.
There’s a distinct African note to the rooms, too. Think candy-pink or blue wickerwork furnishings accented by warm neutrals. Add to that air-conditioning and balconies or terraces and they hit the mark.
Everything is rather smart outside, too. The hotel opens on to a colossal terrace dotted with palms, sunloungers and parasols. Nestled in the middle is the huge lagoon pool, crowned by a swim-up bar under a dramatic Sydney Opera House-esque roof. Peep in here and you’ll see it doubles as the Mambana restaurant - you can try out exotic African curries here in the evening to the sound of the waves.
Beyond all this, you’ve got the beach. A sweep of powdery sands, it features a beach bar and sunloungers. You can walk along the sands to Santa Maria, too - it’s just over a kilometre away.
One last thing. The hotel sits right next to its sister, the Riu Funana, and their grounds virtually merge into one. It means you can use many of the Funana’s facilities.
Location• On the beach • 1.5km from Santa Maria centre
• 2 swimming pools with adjoining whirlpool bath cocooned in a peaceful Moroccan-style hideaway - 1 heated in winter • Sunbeds, parasols and towels on terrace and beach • 'Mindelo' poolside and swim-up bar • 'Sal' beach Bar
• Espargos international non-smoking buffet restaurant with terrace • Show cooking • 'Mandalay' Asian restaurant • 'Mambana' poolside themed restaurant - African cuisine for dinner • Lobby bar • Plaza Bar • Swim-up bar • Use of the themed restaurants at neighbouring ClubHotel Riu Funana
• Gym • Aqua aerobics • Aerobics • Multi-sports court for tennis, mini-football and basketball • Beach volleyball • Windsurfing for beginners, provided by Scuba Caribe • Kayaking • Bodyboards • Snorkelling • Intro scuba diving pool lesson • Shuffleboard • Air gun shooting • Table tennis • Activities at RiuArt several times a week
• Daily entertainment programme • Live shows, music or RIU entertainment in the evenings • Pacha nightclub, open 6 nights a week
• Daytime entertainment programme for children aged 4-7 and 8-12 yrs at RiuLand kids' club • Playground • Children's pool
• Sauna • Whirlpool bath • The following facilities are not included in your All Inclusive package: • Wi-Fi • Gift shop • Internet access • Use of the Renova Spa at ClubHotel Riu Funana • PADI scuba diving school and equipment • Professional surf school and equipment, provided by Surfzone • Billiards
Please note it can be windy on Cape Verde and watersports are only available when weather conditions allow. Beach access is through the Funana side of the complex due to a turtle conservation area in front of the Garopa.
It is essential that you register to validate your Cape Verde visa at www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/cape-verde-visas.html
All rooms have air-conditioning, ceiling fan, open-plan bathroom with shower and enclosed WC, TV, phone, mini-fridge, hairdryer and balcony or terrace. Twin rooms sleeping up to 3 adults have twin beds, 3rd bed is a sofa-bed.
We also offer Standard Family rooms, Interconnecting twin rooms, Larger twin rooms, Suites and Junior suites.
Standard family rooms are Twin rooms sleeping up to 2 adults and 1 child up to 12yrs with cot space. 3rd bed is a temporary child bed.
Interconnecting twin rooms sleep up to 2 adults and 3 children with 2 adults and 1 child in the main bedroom and 2 children in the 2nd bedroom. You'll need to book 2 of these room types to get 2 rooms with a connecting door.
Larger twin rooms sleep up to 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children up to 12 years with twin beds and a sofa-bed. These rooms are slightly larger than Standard family rooms.
Suites sleep up to 2 adults with double bed and separate living room with sofa.
Junior suites sleep up to 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children up to 12 years with a sofa-bed in the open-plan living room, hydro-massage bath - open to the bedroom - and enclosed bathroom with shower.
24-hour All Inclusive
• Full Board and snacks • Unlimited local alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks • Activities as listed • Entertainment as listed • Other facilities as indicated • Guests may also use the facilities at neighbouring ClubHotel Riu Funana with a 24-hour bar and buffet • Facilities that are not part of your All Inclusive package may incur extra local charges – please see the A-Z Guide
Extra Local Charges
Some facilities may incur extra local charges, please see the A-Z Guide