Melia Las Antillas details
All that lies between this hotel and the ocean is a blanket of snow-white sand. But there’s more to this paradise retreat than a postcard view…
Like a mini-village, Melia Las Antillas is spread across six hectares of tropical gardens. Palm trees feature heavily, as do water features – not least the hotel’s main pool. But the water feature that gets everyone talking is the rather large one just beyond the hotel grounds - the sea.
Location-wise, this place can do no wrong. It’s got a plum position on Varadero’s beach, so you can be digging your toes in the sand within minutes. But the setting's only part of the story.
Four restaurants vie for your attention, from casual snack bars to à la carte eateries that up the ante when it comes to dress code. And on top of that, the hotel’s got five bars with just about every prefix going – pool, beach, piano, lobby – so you’re never far from another mojito.
As to the rooms, they’re spacious and nicely decorated. Think fresh cream walls and cool tile floors with a generous splash of colour coming from the framed Cuban art. The lobby’s something of a talking point, too. It looks like a tiered wedding cake draped in ivy, with a glass roof and chequerboard floor completing the impressive picture. But the real icing on this cake is the service. You get the impression nothing’s too much trouble for the staff here, which means all you have to worry about is enjoying yourself. And with golf, tennis and watersports all on the menu, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
Location• 200m to the beach • 500m to the nearest bus stop • 5km to the nearest shops and nightclub
40 minutes from Varadero or 2 hours 45 minutes from Havana
• Large free-form swimming pool in 2 sections • Pool bar • Sun terrace • Sunbeds and parasols
• 4 restaurants: 1 buffet, 3 à la carte • Restaurants are either non-smoking or have a non-smoking section • 3 of the 4 are air-conditioned • Breakfast, lunch and dinner all feature international cuisine • Beach bar and snack bar
• Tennis • Gym • Sauna • Volleyball • Table tennis • Darts • Watersports, including canoes and pedalos • 1 scuba diving lesson in the pool
• Quizzes and competitions • Caberet • TV room • Bar and lounge
• 24 hour reception • The following facilities are not included in your All Inclusive package: • Massage • Internet access • Money exchange • Hairdresser • Souvenir shop • Scuba diving • Laundry service
All rooms are Junior Suites sleeping 2 adults with a king-size or 2 double beds, air-conditioning, satellite TV, phone, minibar - restocked daily, iron and board, coffee maker, hairdryer and balcony. Superior junior suites with sea view, bathrobes and slippers and VIP concierge services
• Full Board meals • Snacks • Local alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks • Activities as listed • Entertainment as listed • Other facilities as indicated • Facilities that are not part of your all inclusive package may incur extra local charges - please see the A-Z Guide